Astoria is a cute harbor town where the Columbia river meets the Pacific Ocean
We drove up Saturday morning and went straight to the beach. We visited the wreck of the Peter Iredale in Fort Stevens State Park.
The Peter Iredale is mostly rusted away and buried by sand. But the skeleton of the prow of the ship still rises out of the beach.
Right after this picture was taken Keith almost got snook by a sneaker wave
Fortunately, I turned around and yelled at him just in time. He hopped the gap and ran to safety as the ocean flooded the wreck. I won't say I saved his life, but I definitely saved the bottom three inches of his pants.
The beach was windy, so we went to the Lewis and Clark National Historic Park for a longer hike. We were avoiding people and sticking to the trails, so we did not visit the historic location where Lewis and Clark spent a season.
The next morning we took the Astoria Riverwalk and looked at big boats. Astoria is hilly and cute and has a very Duluth vibe.
We play the game Wingspan a lot, and Keith was very excited to spot a heron in the wild:
But neither of us has any idea what he is sitting on.
The only picture of me taken all weekend was outside the Beach Burrito. We didn't even eat there.
Sunday afternoon we crossed the 4-mile bridge (according to Wikipedia, the longest contiguous truss bridge in North America) to Washington and went for short hike at Cape Disappointment. Here is the Cape Disappointment Lighthouse.
Happy New Year!







This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteA "Duluth vibe" was what I was thinking too, as I scrolled through your photos. The moored ships are certainly Duluth-like. And your clothing makes it look a bit chilly, too. But how nice to have such interesting stuff that close to you.
ReplyDelete