Last year I took a trip down the California coast to Big Sur as a goodbye California gift to myself. I was just telling mom and dad about it and realized I never posted the photos here. Hope you don't mind the anachronistic posting.
I rented a tiny little blue smart car, went to the grocery story and bought the perfect lunch, and then headed south
The first stop was Carmel where I visited the white sand beach (the same beach mom and I visited when I was 17)
Then I started in earnest down highway 1 towards the Big Sur. Highway 1 hugs the coast all the way down California. According to Wikipedia, "Big Sur is a lightly populated, unincorporated region on California's Central Coast where the Santa Lucia Mountains rise abruptly from the Pacific Ocean. The coast is frequently praised for its rugged coastline and mountain views. It is the 'longest and most scenic stretch of undeveloped coastline in the contiguous United States'"
The views just got more and more dramatic and breathtaking
Here's a closer view of the colorful succulents and shrubs that carpeted parts of the coastline
Here's a famous bridge I crossed
Here's the tiny little two seater smart car I drove the whole way. I loved it with my whole heart.
I visited Pfeiffer Beach, which has large patches of purple sand
Here's a sign telling me not to fly drones because they'll interfere with fire fighting, and another sign showing the progress of the fire
I rounded out the day at Nepenthe restaurant in Big Sur. Here's my meal and the view from my table.
For $40, I spent the night in the most amazing and ridiculous Air BnBs imaginable. From their listing:
"We invite you to participate in early morning meditation at 5 am in our dedicated meditation room. Join us for yoga at 6:30 am or wake to Gong meditation at about 7am"
There was a giant gong in the living room, and two or three occupied trailers parked on the property. They seemed like Burning Man people, if that means anything to you. Below is the ladder I had to climb to reach the lofted alcove where my bed was located.
Breakfast was excellent, though. Fresh tomatoes and berries grown by the hosts
I spent the whole afternoon at the Monterey aquarium, which was spectacular. The schools of sardines were my favorite
The jellies were beautiful too
Here's a final picture of me looking real cute at the aquarium!



















What a wonderful post. The photos are awesome. I love the vistas, especially the 3rd one in the sequence. And how often do photos of one's dinner have a backdrop like the one you captured at Nepenthe? It even features a nearly-full Moon. The little car makes me very nervous - I don't see how the driver could survive an accident. What are the dark purple fruits in photo #1?
ReplyDeleteThey are figs!
DeleteThe blue gradient in the jellyfish photo together with the twisting shapes is mesmerizing.
ReplyDelete